I do not have the knack for working ahead of the weather. I’m always already late.
You see, Reader, I’m the kind of person who reacts to my surroundings. Some people (like my mother) have already purchased and wrapped their Christmas gifts. Is it any wonder I’ve got a bit of a complex?! Bees, too, act in preparation for what lies 3 months ahead. I’m always so surprised that it’s already 3 months later.
Here’s a list of things I need to do pronto:
- add the shim atop all hives
- continue to feed but also add granulated sugar
- place Styrofoam on both the top and bottom of the hives
Things to do to prepare for spring:
- organize my disorganized basement
- order woodenware for the additional hives
- hammer and nail and staple all that the equipment together all alone in my basement until my hands fall off
- (really, the above is sort of therapeutic for me)
- find a couple of out yards that can handle 20 hives each